Teaching With Balls

Teaching With Balls

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday

Since I never posted during the Christmas season, I thought I'd include a post on "Throwback Thursday!"

Arts Integration Math Lesson


 I wanted my students to see how equivalent fractions are the same fraction but with different value just like colors are the same color but in different shades.

I went to Wal-Mart and Home Depot and collected lots of paint strips! (They are free and easy to get!)

Students built their Christmas Tree using the strips.  I gave my more independent students the freedom to choose their first fraction for each strip.  They then generated fractions equivalent to their beginning fraction.  With some of my students who need more support, I gave them their beginning fractions (With numerators of 1 such as 1/2, 1/3, 1/4) at supported them in generating equivalent fractions.

Their trees turned out way cuter than I could have imagined!




The trees looked a little bare after we finished so the students
decided glitter would be a nice touch! 

I really feel like my students made huge leaps in terms of generating equivalent fractions after this project!








Science Christmas Tree


I wanted to have a "Hanging of the Greens" in my classroom so we did! :) Each table of students got a brown paper bag with ornaments inside.  They also had flashlights sitting on their table.  Once students opened their paper bags, they worked together to decide if the ornaments inside were opaque, transparent, or translucent!  Once the group decided they were able to hang the ornaments on the tree!

Our tree turned out super cute!
Rather than a star on top,
we added our essential question,
"Can you find the opaque,
transparent, and translucent
ornaments on our tree?"

No comments:

Post a Comment