Teaching With Balls

Teaching With Balls

Thursday, February 13, 2014

How do you like your balls?

If you're a teacher that uses exercise balls in your classroom I am sure you've been asked a million times about your balls! How do you like them? Doesn't it drive you crazy? Do the kids really sit on them ALL day? Do the kids like them?

Here are my thoughts on all of this....

YES! I love my balls!!! :) I love looking out and seeing the kids able to wiggle around a bit.  I was out on maternity the first 3 months of school so I am just now bringing them back out. Here are the top reasons why I love them:

REASON #1
 Rarely do I have kids up wondering around randomly anymore.  I also don't have kids "sharpening pencils" a zillion times a day.  They have much less need to get up and move because they are in constant movement throughout the day!

REASON #2
It's been COLD here in Georgia.  I hate the cold so we do indoor recess! Having the balls has made indoor recess so much more productive and fun! We do sit ups on our balls, bounce on our balls, etc! Let's just say we are going to get those cores right!

REASON #3
My kids feel special! :) I know that sounds silly but I am working with students that are used to being the "low" kids in the class (and yes, kids are smart enough to figure out when they are considered the low kids) and kids that are used to wearing hand-me-downs and having more privileged kids deliver Christmas gifts to them every year.  Many of them have never felt as if they have something others don't! It's really amazing to see them glow at the idea of being the envy of someone else's eye.

Any teachers out there using balls in the classroom!?!? PLEASE let me know your reason for loving them!!!

I will soon be blogging about communicating with parents/colleagues/administration about using balls in the classroom! Stay posted!

4 comments:

  1. I am super excited, I just had a class set ordered for my upcoming 3rd grade class...I will be happy to share when we get to put them in action! I can't wait to see their excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm so excited to hear about how this is going for you! <3 I took a couple of years off (babies...) and just now getting back to the blog world!

      Delete
  2. So I've been searching for a blogging teacher to help me implement my new class set of stability balls. Hooray I think I've finally found you! :)

    I blog too... http://rideawaywithmrsridgway.blogspot.com/

    Keep me posted if you do more entries about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the yoga balls in my classroom. We have tile floors and keep getting marks all over the floors. Have you had that problem and do you have suggestions for helping to avoid that?

    ReplyDelete